3.01.2012

a leap day birthday and fabulous one minute cakes in a cup


Yesterday was Leap Day and the twin's first birthday!  

They are officially four years old but this is the first time in four years they actually got to celebrate February 29th!  So, it was pretty special.  My mom flew in late Monday night so she could be here for the big day that only happens once in a leap year and we're planning a party on Saturday.  My friend came over with party hats and presents (super sweet!) and my mom brought a FABULOUS recipe for cakes in a cup that cook in one minute.  Seriously awesome, mom.  The kids had a blast making their own cakes and it's instant gratification.  I just can't get over how EASY this recipe is and how much FUN it was to make!  Even me, with all my culinarily challenged capabilities, was able to make these without a fuss.  Three cheers for a Happy Birthday and cakes in a cup!!

Here's what you'll need:

1 box One-Step Angel Food Cake  (the just add water kind)
1 box Cake mix of your choice (we used strawberry)
1 gallon ziploc bag
Microwaveable safe average sized coffee cups and/or tea cups  (not glass)


Easy as 1-2-3 directions:

1.  Mix both boxes of cake mix together in a ziploc bag.  Let the kids toss it around a bit.  

2.  Add 2 T of water to your teacup and 3 T of the cake mix.  Stir.

3.  Pop in the microwave for ONE MINUTE and it's done!  Add some whipped topping if it makes you happy.


Happy Birthday, Astair and Boston!


My Dearest Astair, 

You are my sunshine!!  Your heart is so light and your smile so carefree.  You teach me everyday to enjoy life!  You dance your way into our hearts and your little lilting laugh is the sweetest melody I've ever heard.  You're my flower child, running through fields and bringing me bouquets.  You are such a delight!  I love you with all my heart and soul.

Love,
Mommy


My Boston Boy,

You fill our home with love and personality!!  You have the biggest heart and I look forward to your wide arm bear hugs and your "I love you's" every single day.  I love the way you love people and you're always looking out for your brothers and sister.  You never leave anyone behind.  You're strong and sensitive and absolutely charming!  You have my heart completely.

Love,
Mommy


On a Side Note:  I'm sharing over HERE today and I kind of broke out into a teeny tiny cold sweat when it posted because it's painfully honest...

19 comments:

Sarah said...

That's so neat that they were born on leap year! Very unique. Oh and that cake cup recipe sounds AWESOME! I can see why kids would love that too. Glad your family had a nice party together =)

- Sarah
http://agirlintransit.blogspot.com

carissa said...

finally a real birthday?!!! what awesome fun! and the almost instant cake sounds miraculous. : )

carissa said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Contemplating Beauty said...

Well guess what?! I am March 1st, today!!!

Happy Birthday to them, how incredibly sweet Joye! Love this recipe too....amazing mommy you.

Charissa Steyn said...

That's so strange that they can only have their real birthday every four years!!! And those cakes looks delicious and simple- just what I like!!!!

Jess said...

how fun... and thanks for sharing the recipe! i will do this with my son. :)

Unknown said...

Happy birthday to the kiddos! I was due on the 29th, but decided to be late and come on the 13th, bummer! It is great that they had a special birthday! Looking forward to seeing what you come up with for the party, oh, and thanks for sharing that awesome recipe, I am going to have to try it!

Southern Gal said...

Happy Birthday to Boston and Astair! Such a sweet birthday post.

P.S. My daughter picked up a hobnail milk glass lamp with a pull chain and I immediately thought of you!

Rachel~Wildflower Photography Studio and Wildflower Creative said...

yay...happy birthday to your littles! love your vintage cups...so very lovely! :)

Linda said...

Happy Birthday to your boys! Those cakes in a cup look fun!

Such sweet notes! You are a sweet momma.

Love, Linda

Mary said...

happy birthday to those sweet babies!
:)

your post on BR was wonderful!
xo

Joy said...

Fun times! I am going to try that cake deal. So fun!

Melodee said...

awe happy birthday to your twins, they are sooo cute! that recipe sounds so easy and amazing, gonna try it!

Anna is Bambi said...

I'm here for the first time and I have to say that your blog is so lovely and amazing! I love the look of it, posts - just everything! You are wonderful and now I'm following you :)
http://annaisbambi.blogspot.com/

jessicaclarke said...

I have a leap day baby too:) Hope they had a good one those look yummy

taylor elyse said...

i just discovered your sweet blog by way of Beautifully Rooted, and i just subscribed! i'm smitten :)

grey rose (they/them) said...

these are precious! can't wait to try my own!
and i so appreciated your words at b. rooted. very pointed and very true. so grateful for you, and your voice! xo

Shannan Martin said...

I've been overcome with wondering how Leap Year babies handle their celebrations. Thank you for shedding some light. :) So cool and unique. And not to mention - twins!! Your partying all looks pretty rad to me. Beautiful cakes!

Angela said...

Found you blog surfing...thank you for sharing the cake in a mug recipe! I pinned the mug with whip picture.

What a special day!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Do ask. Do tell.

Page copy protected against web site content infringement by Copyscape